Thoughts after first loss?

Well done. 1000% agree.

And if our guys aren’t late on their rotations, the defense works.

Wisconsin made some great plays out of the monster trap. Or getting the ball into their big guys. Hats off to them.

We made their life a living hell in the second half.

1 Like

You have to realize that a big problem we had to start the game was they weren’t missing any shots

1 Like

but we dastically reduced the trapping in the 2nd half… no one is saying to give up on his defensive plan… but the halftime adjustment would have been more significant if we had done it 10 minutes earlier

2 Likes

Uhh. Not really. And when we did, 5 ran off like 6 or 8 straight points.

This poor planning stuff is silly. We played a game against a good team a day after playing with little time to prepare. The double the post was fine. Just took some time for our players to get a feel for how Wisky was moving without the ball. On top of that when you are clanking shots D effort just goes down a bit, especially with legs that might be a little tired. Once they got a feel for what Wisky was doing and hit a few shots the D locked in.

Bigger concern is the same thing the last two years. Lineups without enough shooting. Cam Tyson is shooting 43% from 3 on 8.6(!) attempts per game for a 4-1 team btw…

Seriously though Shead and Edwards played fantastic in that second half.

I also thing that you guys will see at season end…Wisconsin is a really good team

1 Like

We forced Wisconsin into playing a perimeter game in the second half. Those looks into the post were much more difficult. And we frustrated their guards.

Hell. We were actually late on a trap and 5 went the other way and scored off of the glass. Just because we didn’t trap once, doesn’t mean we drastically changed our defense when they got the ball in the post.

I really like how they fought back and had opportunities to tie/take the lead. That being said, I never thought I’d see this team fall behind 13-0 to start a game and down 20 at half. Hopefully, they learn from this and are better from it.

1 Like

we really did, that why their pf had 9 points all in the 2nd half, all post points
the 1st hafl we ran the double as soon as an big touched the ball, even som e gaurds on the perimeter… the 2nd half, i noticed we only trapped AFTER they picked up their dribble and had nowhere to go… and did not trapp anyone on the perimeter

there was a stark difference in the 1st half and second half in how we trapped… bilas himself noticed it and mentioned it during the game

We literally were late on one of his buckets. We tried to trap. He went away from the double and scored off of the glass. We let him go 1 on 1 once. And it failed miserably. We didn’t do that again.

Hard to put blame on the monster when it was more that our guys with help responsibilities weren’t helping, or were helping late. We also had a ton of possessions where we were fully rotating onto a perimeter pass rather than stunting. Seemed more like the players were not fully trusting the system, leading to the defensive system itself looking bad. They’ll get better.

Well damn, I had us going 35-0.

I am more hopeful that we dominate the AAC !

1 Like

Bilas did mention we made an adjustment to the half but he also commented that we didn’t bring our usual intensity on the defensive end in the first hslf

We were not going undefeated and Wisconsin was better than advertised. I do think we were out schemed in the first half but made adjustments at halftime to have a chance at the end. Being down 20 at the half just about guarantees defeat. This team is not good enough to take any opponent for granted.

Glad to play a prototypical B10 team this early in the season. While losing is always tough, I’d like to think both Coach and team will have learned a lot from today. Onward and upward!

Bigger concern. ALL of the missed free throws. Need to make 70% +. Our FT sucks. Practice please

Please tell me that you don’t really believe they don’t practice free throws

1 Like

When we did we got beat one on one several times as well which is expected as we don’t work on that as much as trapping posts.

Their shooting reverted to their mean is the biggest thing and we did up the intensity and created turnovers. We just have a few back right away unfortunately.

The shooting reverted back to the mean because we were actually there. Davis had 4 open looks. Not even sure where the closest guy was on some of his open threes in the first half.

I kept saying, “how do you lose him?”

Bilas was saying the same.

1 Like