Thoughts after first loss?

watch reggie very closes in this gif… that was the adjustment
a power forward is driving…reggie can EASILY trap he chooses not to hangs on for dear life to his defender who is trailing … highlights on show makes, ut it worked out really well for the 2nd half

from every video ive seen of samspon explaining the monster, reggie is supposed to trap, reggie doesnt, but he more so its wasnt a lapse and was a 100% a decision made by reggie – likely meaning he was instructed too

Cannot tell you as I am not at their practice sessions. But >55% is on the sad side.

Why would we have even tried to trap that? It was a bad shot from Wahl. Where he happened to make it. There was also two seconds on the shot clock. Would have made zero sense to pull Reggie out there when you knew a shot had to go up. And take a rebounder away. And he started out at the 3 point line. When Wahl had his back to the basket, we went 1 on 1 exactly once. And got beat.

He went back to the basket again. Probably not even a minute later. We tried to trap. We were late. Wahl went away from the double and scored.

Thank you. Glad you can have a civil conversation about sports without overreacting.

Make the FT and it does not matter!!!

1 Like

This team was put together eerily like the Michigan team we lost to

Yup. That’s basically right. We missed 6 in the second half. Make those and, by my calculations, we win.

My observations

1- Wisconsin played lights out. They played much better than they did vs Aggy and Providence (the two games I watched). Kudos to them to smacking us in the mouth. In that first half, it seemed like every shot dropped.

2- We had less rest between games. We also looked slower than normal. Coincidence?

3- we lost 4 starters from last year. We fans got way ahead of ourselves (myself included) after beating an ACC and Big East team easily. UVa and Butler are looking like far less impressive wins right now

4- We friggin’ stormed back. Kids AND staff never quit. We had the ball with a chance for a win after 99% of us thought we’d lose by 40

5- It’s November. Beat Oregon or SMC and then clobber NWState and hope we don’t get SEC’ed by refs in Tuscaloosa

4 Likes

I’ve been to some practices. I can assure you they do, with some consequences for missing.

Of course 55% is unacceptable. Jamal was a career 75% shooter coming into the game.

1 Like

Ok so you are the judge of this? You get to tell someone if their opinion is dumb or not? This why so many people leave this board lmao. Have a good day

the trap should have a happened before the shot…we dont know what type of shot he would have taken if he trap

you trap that becuase its a big driving into the post… we always trap bigs going to the post and try to force them to make a good pass
also we trap bigs even from the perimeter

the way that should have worked in the monster, is when wahl start going in, reggie and fabian were supposed to trap him and try to force their big to make a pass, while the others try to undercut it… not leave fabian in the post 1 on1… there are tons of other examples in the game… bilas himself noted it… ill gif some more when the full game is out… there was a very obvious film that showed we made a purpsely effort to take away the pass from the big, when we normally try to take the scoring from the big and give them the pass… becuase bigs arent normally good passer…

2 Likes

He was never in the post. He started at the 3 point line with 3 seconds on the shot clock.

Would have been idiotic to leave Vogt and leave Sasser underneath by himself when you know a shot has to go up.

But not going to keep arguing that with you.

I’m glad you could find one play where a guy started at the 3 point line late in the shot clock and wasn’t doubled. And use as your example that we changed our defense. But won’t bring up when Wahl actually was in the paint and we tried to double. But we’re late.

1 Like

And dude took a fall away jumper with 1 in the shot clock. But Reggie was supposed to go out and double and leave Sasser alone with a 7 footer underneath. To try and get a rebound. Lmfao.

1 Like

Whisky will never again shoot as well as they did first half. When Shead got the ball at the end I’m screaming “time out, time” out at the TV. (Sometimes it does what I say).

We trapped in the second half - although not on this drive to the baseline. A couple possessions before this (or around this time), the same guy spun out of a double team and hit a tough shot falling out of bounds (believe it was Wahl but I don’t have the energy to go back and look). That was the next possession after he had abused Roberts who didn’t get help (that’s when Bilas made the comment - Roberts was absolutely taken with a drop step).

The biggest adjustment was not changing how we trapped but was improving the way we denied the pass to the post to begin with. We were literally giving them the block in the first half, and the second half, we made them earn it every time and denied everything aggressively. That was the big adjustment.

Later in the game, the ball goes to the post and we immediately trapped and got a turnover with Shead getting an and-one on the other end. There were other possessions where we trapped the post - several possessions. We’ve had enormous success getting run outs with that defense and given our offensive deficiencies early in the year, they’ve been helpful.

Of course we tweaked some things about when and how we trap - we do that every single game depending on a lot of factors, but the tweaks to the monster was not what got Houston back in the game. Denying every pass and hitting a couple shots was most important.

2 Likes

Isn’t the gif also a short pick n roll where Wahl just got a little day light from the screen?

yes we trap from the permieter even for bigs… this is very well established concept in the moster.

yes it would have been idiotic becuase Wisconsin bigs are good passer, and something we did in the 1st half… look at half of davis’s 3 in the 1st half they were pick and pop . the pf would drive, from the perimeter we’d try to trap the big like we always do… and he’d swing it back to davis…

you are noting the adjustment made… trapped bigs normally made bad passes… in the 2nf half we adjusted and defended the pass

I haven’t read anything but the first post. My main thought is this loss will make the team better. They needed some adversity and it will pay off down the road.

(Edited to fix autocorrect that changed loss to kiss)

2 Likes

Yes. There was no reason for us to ever trap there.

But P will run with it and say we employed a totally different defense.