Ticket Count: Lamar

Lamar was scheduled last April right before Yurachek took over; basically, one last final move that Mack Rhodes made. In September, Yurachek announced that there would be no more FCS games after Lamar and we would only play home games against P5 teams at TDECU. I believe that we didn’t cancel Lamar because we had already agreed to a $250K payout to them which we would have to pay no matter what (I may be wrong on the $$ amount).

We did cancel (actually postpone) a 2014 game against Tennessee Tech to schedule UNLV instead as we were going into that season with 2 FCS opponents. The Tennessee Tech game was moved to last year.

We did cancel the last 2 games of the La Tech football series for 2013-2014 (replaced them with Southern and Grambling).

A big problem with Mack was that he was awful at scheduling and it still hurts us in a lot of sports today, but mainly football that requires future planning. Maggard had us playing 1-2 P5 every year; Rhoades didn’t until about 2013 when we finally got Vanderbilt, Tx Tech, Kansas, Arizona & Oklahoma on the schedule (not sure what he was doing prior to that as he came on board in '09). Kind of a blessing in disguise as we probably would have fired Levine earlier if his schedules had been tougher. Things have a way of working out.

1 Like

I get tired of the big city excuse. The Texans have trouble putting back to back 8 win seasons together, the tickets cost twice to four times as much and they haven’t been around for 50+ years but people still buy up all of the tickets. We have 22k season ticket holders and have been allotting 10k tickets to the students. So after having the biggest win in college football last week, ranked top 10 in both the AP/USA Today polls and we are in the discussion for crashing the playoffs, we have sold 3k to 4k tickets outside of the 22k season tickets and 10k (tuition paid) student tickets.

Do we even need to have a discussion about how many of the 22k season tickets will be no-shows for the game? We won’t be getting any positive publicity from beating Lamar so no matter how much we beat them, headlines will read “Cougar football ready for primetime, Cougar fans are not.”

1 Like

The student section is 5k, not 10k.

https://twitter.com/UHouston/status/773526558644375552

I think you’re right… to an extent.[quote=“Coog2088, post:38, topic:2550”]
Houston, and other comparable schools in large cities, will have a large variation in game-to-game attendance. UCLA has 80K for USC, and 50K for Colorado.

Should Jim Mora (sp?) call out the ENTIRE fan base because 20K UCLA fans don’t go to every game?
[/quote]

To me, the difference here it that, we’re the #6 team in the country AND we’re trying to impress the B12 and any other P5 conference to take note… we CAN pull in good numbers and have potential if we have the support of being in a better conference. Either way, I’ll be there. Every week I have my daughter bring along a friend whose never attended a UH game. We tailgate too. Hopefully I can create a nice memory so that they become future fans of our wonderful school.

Am I reading this correctly that there are only 102 more season tickets available for this season? How many would that be total? 23k?

Looks like the GA section above the student section is completely sold out as of today…

Now we just need to sell out the rest of the available 300’s and it’s a done deal…

If we can push hard for the next 36 hours… we can make it happen. #1-0

3 Likes

Selling out against Lamar would go a long way.

2 Likes

Lamar is trying to help us sell tickets! Or they hit the deadline for them to sale their allotment -

If you need tickets to LU vs Houston this Saturday at 11 am please go to https://t.co/rPk7VTtc5f to purchase your tickets

— Lamar Cardinals (@LamarAthletics) September 8, 2016

Lamar not returning tickets is a huge win in the sellout effort if true.

500 is my guess for what Lamar sells

Cougar pride said as of last night around 1500 left. I am sure we sold a few hundred today. I think it sells out.

2 Likes

You do realize that UH and the Texans do not attract the same kind of crowd !!!

Their allotment was 3,000. 500 more would be nice.

I think it sells out. I got 5 calls today of friends/family asking about tickets. Going to be people buying tickets tomorrow and some walk-up.

1500? Seriously?

1 Like

Looks to me like the only seats available are in the upper corners.

If so, it should be a great atmosphere.

1 Like

If we are really down to 1500 tickets or so, we should sell out. There will be at least 500 walk-ups----probably more if we get lucky and we have a cloudy day that provides some relief from the sun.

1 Like

The problem with walk ups is they usually buy tickets from someone before they make it to the ticket office.

Cougar Pride ‏@UHCougarPride 42m42 minutes ago
CP donors, did u know u can :dollar: tickets to the Lamar game and donate them to Little Coogs so local children can attend? Let’s sellout TDECU! :paw_prints:

6 Likes

Those people aren’t likely to come at this late time but it’ll be $$ in the coffers and closer to a sellout.