Transfer Portal

Whoa! Where is this all coming from?! First I’ve read anything like what was just posted.

And he was TERRIBLE in that role. Unusable. Best for everyone he moves along. Good luck to him.

Nothing new. There are always disgruntled players (and their family members). No coach is perfect, no coach is loved by everyone with the decisions they have to make about who plays, who gets what in scholarship money, etc. But there are a lot players who like and respect Todd.

2 Likes

Uh huh. So…which portal player is your kid?

3 Likes

Davbrucas delivers a quality shock post.

1 Like

We just fired Rooney and brought in Bunn because his Middle Tennessee staff led the country in lowest walks per nine innings.

I’m not ready to call him a failure. We definitely need to get back to attracting better pitchers to come to UH.

3 Likes

Your kid in the portal?

Really don’t have time for a TW apologist….what does it matter if he does have a kid in the portal? Does that make it not true?

I find it interesting this thread and others have talked about the various failures all season and now you jump in to blow off a guy that very well may be telling the truth….
I know you have been around for a while but have you had a family member play for the team? Are you a Showcase coach that has had dealings with the coaching staff? There are people here that can speak first hand to some of their experiences……
so unless you have maybe don’t act like it’s just a discruntled parent.

This program has digressed at an alarming rate despite having many advantages that most do not have…… there is a reason UH does not get top notch kids anymore, especially from Houston area.

3 Likes

I’m far more likely to give credence to a disgruntled family member when a third of the team is in the portal. It tells me he’s basically the tip of the iceberg.

3 Likes

I just looked at the transfer portal. Well over 2,000 players in it right now.

Get this: Gardner-Webb has 36 kids in the portal. 36!?! HOW? Mind blowing.

Gonna be a few years before the extra Covid year runs it’s course.

PS—- GO IRISH!!!

I agree with a previous poster in that Pez has a lot on his plate right now especially after learning our track coach is leaving.
While Whitting will probably be back there has been no talk of an extension going into the final year of his contract.
We have several other Coog programs that have regressed the last few years including womens hoops and softball.
Mens golf, while showing improvement, has come nowhere close to national relevance .
I am afraid it will take a Big 12 wake-up call along with additional funding before these issues get discussed.

2 Likes

Again 12 years…weak excuses.

3 Likes

ECU w only 3 so far and all are part timers.
https://247sports.com/college/east-carolina/Article/ECU-Baseball-Transfer-Portal-Joey-Rezek-CJ-Boyd-Bradley-Wilson-188801619/

1 Like

If you compare college baseball executives to presidents in other industries you’ll probably find 35% are despised for one reason or another. People don’t want to work for or play for a loser. I’m not saying that’s what’s happening here. But if we fall below the median average on portal entries there’s a chance the players don’t believe in this staff. (Or I should say fall in the upper level)

Seems this staff has to overcome a lot of self-inflicted damage: invert the schedule and play tougher teams, while dealing with wholesale departures and recruiting difficulties.

1 Like

Not an apologist. There is a legit case for getting a new baseball coach. It can be made without going low and getting personal and attacking Todd’s character. I’ve watched disgruntled player parents do it numerous times over the years, to Rayner first and now Todd. It’s disgusting.

Part of me would like to see a new coach in here too. But I am encouraged with:

An 18-game turnaround season

Advancing to the conference tournament championship

Setting and new UH record for Fielding Pct.

Leading the conference in hits, second in BA.

An exciting incoming JUCO class (at least for the bats)

Kivett is making an impact, and I’m hoping Bunn can do the same with the pitching (CRITICAL).

Bottom line, last season reversed the trends, and Todd is not going anywhere. At least not next season.

2 Likes

You are aware how long TW has been here?
You understand the turnaround in wins came at the expense of a schedule that made it nearly impossible to get in the tournament?
Getting to the championship game of the conference tourney and losing is an achievement? There was only one tourney-level team in the entire tournament and we lost to them.

Why doesn’t a player or a player’s family get the same respect as another board member? I think they know the guy better than most of us. In personal relationships one party is often a douche or a tool in the other person’s eyes. It doesn’t make that person wrong if they have a reason to feel that way.

I don’t dislike Whitting personally but the program is no longer a national power.

3 Likes

Point conceded. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion.

I’m not bashing you because I know there are some parents are dramatics. Funny how we can be so close to the program but not really know what’s going on. At this point nothing would surprise me.

Holmes,

The things you listed are the same propaganda the PR people sent out to fool the average fan.
I know you have been a fan a long time and surely can not be fooled with the “ 18 game turn around”.
I don’t think even you believe that non-sense….
One, the program should never be in a situation to have an improvement of 18 games…… that says more about how low the sunk the year before.
And you know as well as every person here that it was a garbage schedule that Pez should have never signed off on….
We knew the day it came out the team would either need to win 45+ games or win the tournament.
Leading the conference in hits and second in BA is a by product of a crappy conference…. Should we really beat our chest over that in a one-bid conference? Same can be said for advancing to the finals of the same crappy conference.
I’ll give you the improved fielding pct. And raise you another year of putrid base running.
Then you mention a great class of Juco’s…… why so many Juco’s Holmes? UH is in one of the most fertile areas of prep players in the nation!
We have talked about this topic in depth here and I really don’t want to get back into it…. I’ll just say many bridges have been burned…. There is a reason they are having to depend on Juco’s….
Two sides to every story Holmes…. Just because you don’t like what someone is saying doesn’t make it not true.

6 Likes