UH Baseball 2023 Season

I don’t know the reason but my guess is just lack of opportunity.

So Tracy got 27 AB’s in 60 games here last year and hit .185….so far at A$M he has 18 AB’s in 12 games and is hitting .500……small sample size but he is on pace for 100 AB’s there….maybe more if he continues to hit when he gets opportunities.

Another, Rey Mendoza who I was high on coming out of HS had a whopping 15 AB’s here all season……transferred out to UIW, has been batting 4th all season and hitting .298 while starting every game but one.

Skyler Trevino had 28 AB’s last year and hit .179….transferred to Arkansas-Little Rock and is hitting .324 with 4 HR and 15 RBI’s so far.

Samuel Benjamin started 18 games here last year and hit .250 with 0 HR and 7 RBI….He transferred to Houston Christian and is starting….he is hitting .350 with 3 HR and 9 RBI’s.

Are you guys seeing a pattern here? The player development under the current staff is absolute garbage….I hate to say it like that but it’s true….I didn’t even mention how some seniors have fallen off a cliff with their bats……

And we all know what kind of success the pitching staff has had.

Time to blow it up and bring in a highly motivated, competent staff.

10 Likes

Baseball is weird. When a coach plugs his favorite in it probably won’t blow up the operation, even if his favorite isn’t the best on the team. But when a coach plugs every one of his favorites in and half are just above average it usually does blow up the operation. Maybe the difference between Dusty (Dubon) and Whitting. But what do I know? I heard that Noble had his favorites and ignored a lot of solid talent on the team, yet he had some success.

(Just a note: Dubon has 681 career ABs and has 9 stolen bases - how the Hell can you be a speedy OF and have that many SBs?)

1 Like

He only gets to use that speed trying to beat the throw to first.

2 Likes

But Dubon has put on 80 lbs of muscle……he is hitting his singles way harder.

Oops , just realized this was not Astros thread….Funk brought up the Astros and got us off track——all his fault.

1 Like

Who was Coogs2U talking to originally?

Oh , bussey I think.

I know all coaches are blamed for playing the pets. Its just that some coaches are better at picking their pets.

I knew two families whose sons played for Raynor. One family thought he was wonderful. The other didn’t feel that way. I really just want to win. That will mean Whitting is competent. But I think my idea of winning is different than Pez’ idea of winning.

2 Likes

News Flash

We got routed by the Sooners

Now……let’s try to not get routed again.

Maybe we can keep it within a field goal tomorrow.

There goes my three close games

1 Like

No arguments here!

We just got BUTT STOMPED!!!

1 Like

The UH pitching is a singular dreadful.

1 Like

I don’t think I have ever seen an ERA of 99.

2 Likes

He got shelled and then some in his one appearance.
For perspective: The hitting T in T-Ball has a better ERA.
Once in awhile a lad actually strikes out. (and never lives it down)

What is really scary: (even if mostly mop up duty)
Guys w over 12 eras have 4 & 6 innings.
Over 10 era has 9 innings ?
A 9 + & 8+ era have 7 innings pitched ?

How bad are the guys who have barely pitched ?

1 Like

It should actually be infinite because he has not recorded an out yet.

4 Likes

Yes , at least give those guys a shot….I mean the coaches judgements have been sh/t so far……maybe one of the guys that has barely pitched might surprise you.

When I played we had an OFer that went like 20 games with zero AB’s……he looked decent in practice but never any PT….injury, then the next two guys in front of him did next to nothing so he finally got a start in the backend of a DH.
Got a couple of knocks and earned another start….long story short, he took over the starting job and never looked back….started the next two seasons as well.

1 Like

AD just printed posters, “lowest balk-to-run ratio of any staff with a plus-99 era”

5 Likes

I was embarrassed when inexplicably CTW trotted out Thor’s Hammer. What a disgrace. I knew it was over then. It’s called bush league. A thing that puts your hitters at risk of high, hard and tight ones.

Put a UH cap on it. Same caliber of arm Whit puts out there now.

1 Like

The Big German is the only decent starter out there……he had the entire fall and couldn’t figure out he was a weekend starter.

So of course he was dead tired after 5 and Joe Torre sent him back out for the 6th when he was toast……

2 Likes