UH Football Recruiting

I’d like to think that Holgorsen will eventually turn things around for football like Sampson did for basketball. CKS didn’t make the NCAA tournament until his fourth year here, and now we’re one of the best teams in the nation, and the future is very bright. I’ll keep the rose-colored glasses on for a couple more years.

6 Likes

Recruiting hasn’t gone well so far. It’s hard to argue otherwise without some mental gymnastics. We will see what Dana can pull off in Feb.

5 Likes

If that was entirely true, that would be something but it is not entirely true.

1 Like

I’ve been following recruiting for nearly 20 years. The fact is that most players sign in the early period now. Cinci currently has the top rated G5 class in the country. BECAUSE THEIR PROGRAM IS ROLLING! Dana could get but 9 quality players to sign early…compared to Cinci’s 24. That should be a HUGE red flag. So he is probably going to sign about six more in February and a bunch of P5 washout transfers. Rinse and repeat.

3 Likes

It will only be a red flag if we don’t sign another 10 in the next signing period. Until then, it is yelling at clouds.

5 Likes

You need to win first, then recruit.

Thus transfers and Jucos.

3 Likes

Cincy is coming off an unbeaten regular season and will probably go to an NY6 bowl…remember the class we had signed in 2016 before Herman bolted?
We pay Holgy lots of money to make these decisions and to drag us out of the mud. And this thing isn’t over by a stretch. Not all the decent players left are academic casualties. There are some very good athletes waiting to see if they can get better offers.
I am hoping we get our share on national signing day…

3 Likes

When did you become head of player personnel? You don’t know what we need. Just stop.

1 Like

I know signing only nine guys ain’t good. I don’t have to be in player personnel to know that.

1 Like

…and how did Fickell do in year one at Cincy? year two? yeah… This isn’t only because of this season. Fickell has been killing it from day one of coming into that program.

Yeah, and we should be getting more than nine recruits on signing day for our money.

2 Likes

I know very little about recruiting. Perhaps he has a lot of current roster guys that are deciding to stay the extra allowed year?

3 Likes

Maybe it’s because Fickell followed pretty decent coaches? It has been discussed time and time again that Holgy inherited a bad situation with everyone still stinging from the Army massacre.
I really doubt the Bearcats have stooped that low over the past few years.
Look, I have never been a Holgy fan and I was very pessimistic when he signed on. But to castigate him over this weird year is silly.
Like I said, he will have two more years to right the ship, and if he don’t he moves on and we continue our next coaching search.
Sampson didn’t exactly set the world on fire his first couple of years here, but given time during non pandemic years, he got the job done!
Hoping our current football coach does the same

6 Likes

Nope. He followed Tuberville, who was run out of town. A 4-8 season that followed a 4-8 season. In fact, I have called Holgorsen our Tuberville.

Nothing has been more exaggerated on this board in the last two years than the condition of our program when Holgorsen was hired. We had so many injuries in the Army game especially on the defensive side of that ball (not to mention our everything QB), had a GA coaching the defense, and had an OC that was already out the door.

The cupboard was not bare, we had a winning season - our last winning season - for a reason.

This we agree on, 100%.

2 Likes

Coog football will be fine. We’re all still recruiting until February & that’s when your ranking will shoot much higher. Stay safe my Coog friends.
EAT EM’ UP!

PS: I was 14 but I remember the day UH signed Warren Mcvae. What a class!

5 Likes

Are you seriously comparing us to a perenial P5 power that has half the state’s loyalty? Brilliant.

4 Likes

Nope the guy he was responding too, was saying not to worry because after all Auburn signed only 11. He’s saying Auburn only signed 11 because they fired their coach and based on the fact they had a few signing day defections they would’ve signed a few more than 11 if they had not fired Malzahn

2 Likes

Lol its early signing period and with the transfer portal things are more flexible. You don’t “Know” anything. You don’t know who’s staying, transfering in either. You haven’t even attended a practice this year. Please stop.

3 Likes

Are we still blaming Applewhite for the current state of affairs? All this talk of rebuilding the team, well lets see it. Do we have speed that we used to lack? Do we have a stable offense line? How long will it take Dana?

3 Likes

Granted tubervile ran that program into the ground…he didn’t give a damn …and now he’s a US senator go figure.

5 Likes

Come on man, Applewhite was pitiful. Look at 2018 record…the basketball team doesn’t give up as many points as he did several times that year. True that the talent wasn’t empty but the spirit was dead as a door nail. Program would have been a complete doormat by now if he was kept on

2 Likes