Volleyball team rocks

Do we have any early signees?

Heard those soccer signees are retweets lol. Pure lazy way to run social media lol

1 Like

Uh.com has a story up saying that the team signed two freshmen outside hitters. A Kayla Knowles and an Ella Busey. One from Denver, Iowa and the other from Colleyville, Texas. From the writeups they seem excellent additions.

1 Like

They are. My thoughts exactly.

3 Likes

Stretch drive begins today. Selection Sunday is in two weeks. The preceding Friday the Coogs visit UCF, a team with only one loss, that one loss at the hands of the Coogs.

In between the Coogs play at Wichita State. WSU is the only team since mid October to even win a set from the Coogs, but they actually extended them to 5 sets at Feritta, so playing in merry old land of Oz may be challenging. Then home for SMU and Memphis and off to Florida to finish the season.

From my highly ignorant viewpoint, just looking at records and RPI and such I would think the Coogs are in the Dance, but I feel sure they are hunting bigger game before that like conference titles and undefeated conference records.

2 Likes

Like a scythe through wheat - another road sweep. Three road games, three road victories all by 3 sets to none. So much for my worry about the Shockers - not even a mild surprise this time round.

Last chance to see the Coogs is this weekend (18th and 20th).

8 Likes

This group of ladies is killing’ it! Undefeated in conference play is a big deal. Go Coogs, beat UCF!

2 Likes

Lady Coogs have had some spectacular teams. In the '70s, Flo Hyman was all everything. Some of the older Coogs here will remember her. She was awesome. Sadly, she passed suddenly and tragically with an undiagnosed heart condition.
Here is a link about her: A Tribute to Flo Hyman - Always a Cougar - University of Houston Athletics

I remember her and the rest of the team elevating UH’s women’s volleyball to new highs and there being a huge buzz about the team back then.

Great to hear this year’s team is doing so well.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/UHCougarVB/status/1591878469381660675

3 Likes

Thanks for posting! Posterity awaits.

Ladies set a program record 18 straight wins!
Go Coogs!

3 Likes

Unbelievable rally! Coogs win 3-0. Just assuming that’s tonight’s game
.was so busy watching I didn’t notice the jerseys or scoreboard.

https://twitter.com/ncaavolleyball/status/1593788374833405953?s=61&t=Bv9Nl6NTJ_-Ubc4fM_yMbw

5 Likes

Last home game is against SMU on Sunday - then Thanksgiving week off to Florida for Wednesday against USF - then final game of the season against UCF - a one loss team -
From what I could understand, the broadcast crew emphasized that the Coogs seem to be getting stronger as the season progesses in that the “hitting percentage” stat was better for each return match against the conference foes. Also, too, I think this is something like 8 consecutive straight set wins. The team now has 26 wins - either the most or tied for most in the nation, with the possible exception of Western Kentucky.
This is a really good team.

7 Likes

This team reminds me of some of Bill Walton’s teams in the '90’s. The '94 team held the previous win streak record of 17, and that team reached the Elite 8. I’m still impressed by how quick the program turned around once they got out of the Alumni Center.

The nice crowds help. Love what they are doing to install local interest from the city volleyball ranks.

2 Likes

From what I could tell watching on the + (which as a complete aside I was pleasantly surprised to note broadcast all the way through with no glitches, screen freezes, "progress circles " or other maddening interruptions - a first for my use of the +); there was good crowd. So good on the whole volleyball program, beat the Ponies.

Good crowd for the SMU matchup. Better than basketball crowds during my time! Looking good up 2-0.

I hope there is some real discussion going on right now about adding beach volleyball. Perfect time to strike with a top 25 squad and moving to the Big 12. Not sure how scholarships, if its like Track/Cross country where they share or not. Either way would assume some quality volleyball players would like to play beach as well so costs should not be a lot to add. TCU’s success in beach is a good reason as well.

5 Likes

and that is it - another win – 19 consecutive, undereated at home, undefeated so far in conference. SMU came in with 21 wins and all credit to the Ponies - they actually won a set.

From my perspective I do not understand how the UH volleyball team is not considered, at this point, a top seed for the upcoming tourney. I guess the answer is stay tuned - two games to go - including a potential conference deciding finale on Friday against the mouseketeers.

Regardless - congratulatiions to Coach Rehr and squad on a sensational season.

8 Likes

Its nice being really good at any sport. The crowds are good.

4 Likes

Fun time. I’ve been able to watch all (or nearly all) games this year on ESPN +.

But took three kids today and we had a blast.

5 Likes