Walk-on Try Out info

Walk-on tryout information is available now.
https://uhcougars.com/news/2022/4/6/football-walk-on-tryout-information-procedures.aspx.

5 Likes

Good to know for Sherman Smith.

1 Like

:raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands: Just got off the phone with him. He says he ready for his shot. It’s on him now. Thank you for keeping us posted. I will do the same.

28 Likes

Pulling for your kid! I think he’s become our adopted son on this board.

6 Likes

I’m pulling for him and he looks like he could be a real asset to our team.

7 Likes

Walk-ons give the team soul. Grinders who just want a shot. Good for those kids.

5 Likes

Everyone who graduates from U of H began as a “walk on”. It’s in our genes. You could call us "Underdog U.

2 Likes

I’m thinking of walking on….I haven’t played in 30 years but now I got my Covid year so anything is possible.

I run a legit 4.3( 20y)

Have a 48” vertical ( off a mini-tramp)

And can put up 40 reps, 50 on a good day ( bar only)

7 Likes

Them numbers will get you into Rice

6 Likes

@Alisha130303 …just curious how the meeting went. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It went well. About 20 - 30 boys showed up. The tryouts will start on 4/25. Those that make it will join the team in fall camp with the incoming freshman. Sounds like the main focus will be agility and will also check out film.

10 Likes

Sherman looks like he should be set in the agility and film department. Would decision come from RB coach or CDH?

1 Like

I am not sure who will make the decision. He has had a year off of football but it should be like riding a bike. He tells us he has been in the rec working out atleast 3 times a day. :thinking: Time will tell if that was an exaggeration or if he is ready. He loves the game so I have faith in him to do well.

8 Likes

Love of the game is what Houston Cougar football is all about. Case Keenum came to Houston because he loved the game, same for Andre Ware.

1 Like

That’s what it takes, Alisha. My grandson who will be playing at Brown University has a workout schedule as reported to me is rather mind blowing and as others have mentioned it is all “Love of the Game”. You have a lot of Coog fans pulling for your son.

9 Likes

The work is what separates the boys from the men. His dad always stays on him about that. We will forever appreciate the Katy High School football for the structure and discipline it instilled. Congrats to your grandson @ Brown. Thank you guys for the support. This group is awesome. I love the updates.

15 Likes

Big day tomorrow! Alisha, keep us updated!

5 Likes

Nervous & Excited. Will do!

6 Likes

Just talk to Sherman. About 25 boys tried out. It was a one day try out for 40 minutes. They won’t officially know until July. He feels like he did good. He was one a a few boys whose number was called at the end to answer a few follow up questions. So now we wait and stay ready.

20 Likes

That bites that you guys have to wait so long. Does sound promising, though. Positive thoughts sent your way. Keep us updated if you hear any good news!!!

3 Likes