We MUST scrap this Offense

Shades of Texas Tech

I remember when the expert coaches on coogfans were ready to fire Sampson because he was not winning fast enough. I think the logic was that it’s easier to turn a basketball program around. Then it was that we lost to some no name school and now our season is screwed. I don’t know if Dana is Sampson but it takes time to build a program and I think that’s what Dana is trying to do here.

Dimel was not a good coach but he did red shirt an entire class of players that killed his chances at winning that year but later turned into the studs that Briles launched his career with.
We as fans never really know what is happening behind the scenes. We all know about the buy out clause that was pitched as a guarantee that Dana does not jump ship. What if Dana wanted that in his contact bc he knew what he had. And wanted time to turn things around.
I feel like this is the curse of not being a P5 program. You need to win now to keep the money coming but building something takes time. You need players and coaches that fit your system. Sometimes you get lucky and it happens and sometimes you have to find them. My personal feeling is that Tony would have worked out if he had a little more time. He had the players but needed a better OC staff. He had it when he hired mechem ( sp?) but once he got poached he made a bad hire and realize. So he fired him and replaced him with the only other guy that had OC experience on the staff. Unfortunately that was the guy from year one that the alumni already hated and unfortunately the alumni did not want to wait any longer.
I felt sumlin was a bad coach but he hire a great OC staff that was running a new and very exciting offense with Dana and kingsbury and had a game changing qb. Case made sumlin look good.
Briles was a program building coach that was greatly helped by being a very good OC himself and Dave Margart (even though there was some friction there). If Briles does not come here after dimel, we don’t turn things around and I am convinced of that.
Anyway I say all that bc sometimes I wish we had a little patience. All the pieces are not in place at the start and it takes time to bring them in. Not much different than running a business.

3 Likes

“His job isn’t to have a productive offense, it is to win.”

No.

His job is to produce a product fans will pay to watch. How has he done over his years at UH by that metric?

1 Like

So that its not a total loss for you I will gladly buy all your SMU and Memphis tickets from you for $50, that is if they are good seats.

Let me know

1 Like

Yeah, im disappointed in that covid year. We should have packed the stadium.

I am watching the Coogs go 6-1.

I am not watching the Coogs lose 58-42. Actually I am watching them, hell I watched them go 0-11. My wife, who is an avid Coog thought there was something wrong with me. But I digress, we are 6-1 and in the drivers seat for a conference championship game. I am loving this. I don’t care about style points.

The offense when it struggles isn’t about scheme. Its up front. One or two guys looks lost. One guy has looked lost and overmatched since game 1. He is an upper class-man which leaves me believing Dana is being loyal to guys who have sweated for the program. I support that.

1 Like

Every team we play with a “better than their record”

They really just aren’t good teams but we did shut down a solid running game with a good qb last night.

Our OL was a joke. Couldn’t or didn’t pick up blitzes and at times just got beat up front. Hard to say who takes the blame but moving on it is up to the staff to get it fixed for SMU.

This off-season we need to pick up quality starters in the transfer portal.

1 Like

If the team is able to finish the season with 10+ wins, I believe the transfer portal will be busy for UH.

Athletes want to play for a winner, but mostly they want a better opportunity to play.

2 Likes

#22 San Diego State (probably will be #20 this coming week) had only 229 total yards in its 20-14 win over Air Force yesterday. Cincinnati managed 270 yards against Navy. We had 256 yards and scored more than SDSU or UC. We are 6-1 and hopefully will correct some offensive issues and come out ready to play against SMU.

4 Likes

I know it’s a broken record, but with the level of protection our qbs traditionally get, we need quick thinking and elusive athletes at that position

2 Likes

My point was, no game is perfect. They way Cincinnati is perceived by everyone they should have rolled over Navy, but they didn’t. They barely squeaked by. Even were behind at one point I believe. So take the win, no matter how ugly, and move on to the next game.

14 Likes

No amount of reasoning will work with the unreasonable.

1 Like

Sorry- a bridge too far…

Week to week you don’t know how a game is going to go or how a team is going to play. Very unpredictable at the college level. Not so much in the NFL or hs but college seems like you just never know.

1 Like

It’s funny really. Last night we sat in front of a group of fans who had to give a negative play by play Every. Single. Play. I felt like I was listening to Joe Buck with the Astros. When Derek jumped off sides, I mumbled “ crap Derek” and one of them screamed “what an idiot, so undisciplined”. After he started that horrible domino affect of off sides, they just blasted every play, good or bad. We stayed there, never said a word, just watched the game. My eyes hurt from eye roiling though! So you’re correct, some people are never happy with anything the team will do that’s moving forward.

8 Likes

Sorry you had to put up with that.

Parents & Coaches families sitting in the stands listening to “fans” pontificate has to be only for the strong!

3 Likes

Well, it was Sunday at that point.

4 Likes

See ya later

It’s weird, we never sit there of course. It’s prime seats behind the team. And because of the small amount of fans you can hear everybody. Players gave some looks to some of the fans, and I’m sure some words amongst themselves. It was a long night, I get it. I was frustrated too, No, I don’t always have a filter, but publicly, I do.