I don’t think racial makeup is our issue.
As someone who lived on campus, trust me, it does.
Agree to disagree.
Tell my RA at Moody Towers who thought I was talking about soccer when a asked him if he was going to the football game.
That would be really hard for me to do and not sure what it would prove.
That they don’t give a rats ass about American football.
Not sure who they is and also not sure we should go any further with it.
I don’t buy this
Hispanics love sports. Watch Texans /Astros
Does our Prof’s encourage students to go to games?
I haven’t got a letter or email encouraging me as an individual not group to go to games. Although I’m a long time season ticket holder
I’ve actually known White people who don’t follow sports. It’s just another example of the destruction of Western Civilization. ![]()

In any case, we can do better. Regardless of how UCF is slightly different than us, they are doing some cool stuff with in game entertainment and atmosphere. They are so far ahead of us in that space and they have no built in advantages allowing them to do so.
Adopting what they are doing would be a big improvement and I have no doubt would help our attendance even if we think they have tailwinds we don’t have.
I wasn’t talking about one race. I’m just saying the more diverse the school, the more students who don’t care about sports before or after they graduate you’re going to get.
Nothing we can do so we need to work on those facts.
I think the answer is “all of the above”.
A society that doesn’t care as much about attending sporting events in person.
A bad economy; people don’t have many for extravagances like football games.
Hot weather.
11 am start times.
We have no control over any of those. The team can control winning, and fans can control their own attendance.
All those “hot take” posts just add to the list of stuff I know isn’t worth paying attention to.
It’s kind of helpful - makes it easier to weed ‘em out.
This is true. But school can also control better in game entertainment.
We should be attacking this one from all angles.
The national media is running with the UH attendance story like an out-of-control virus. Let the fire burn itself out.
I am expecting a much better crowd for Oklahoma St. If anything, the negative publicity will motivate UH fans to support the program.
The attendance issue is exaggerated by the websites. Yesterday’s game was one of the lowest numbers but the media portrays the game like there’s only hundreds at the game vs over 25k. Many fans stayed in the shade and not in their seats so it looked liked it was empty. I actually took a break from the heat during half time.
Despite the lower numbers, the crowd got loud during UCF’s 3rd downs. Spirit of Houston also kept the crowds engaged and the student section loud near the goal line. I thought the game was one of the best comeback UH wins under Fritz ever.
If it were me, I’d completely close out the 3rd level and bring fans two the lower levels.
There are things that our real factors of why people don’t come until major bowl games or top opposing teams.
- The Houston area is one of the top cities in High School football in the nation. It costs money to see a HS game.
- Texans/Cowboys game is going on. Coogs are also competing with pro football team sales.
- It’s expensive to take a family to a Coogs game that includes parking and lunch. A “cheap” $30 ticket for a family of four, plus $30 parking, and lunch can exceed $200+.
- Morning and Weather.
- UCF brings barely any fans. Tech and Colorado bring a lot of fans (games can reach 37k-42k+). Even Rice brings more fans over 30k+.
6) Poor marketing and outreach to the community.
7) Morning games
I mentioned before, the athletics department needs to work with the schools and collaborate with getting public schools involved. UH can also work with the business too. Space City game but no NASA and their families involved? Bauer School of Business (ranked top biz school in Texas?) needs to work with the Athletics department and work on a plan.
I personally don’t worry about attendance. More people will eventually come when the team wins more. The model that Sampson has laid out of winning, will ultimately bring people. In 2015, Coogs were 9-0, ranked 16th, and brought over 43k people vs a ranked Memphis team in an evening game. So when the Coogs are that level again, more fans will eventually show up. I guarantee that OSU coming in at a night time game will bring in more than UCF.
The owner of Heartland CS graduated from Villanova. They have a 12,500 seat stadium and average just over 4,000 people per game…and they’re right in the middle of one of the four biggest cities in the US.
That guy can stfu
Hell we deserve it. Maybe it will wake our alums up
Pearland as the DJ??
I think that an offer for dramatically discounted tickets to recent former UH full-time students (last 10-15 years?) - for example: maybe with 2 half-price (BOGO) adult tickets and $5 kids tickets…along with a reminder that the value of their UH education & degree(s) is affected by the perception of their alma mater’s support (or lack thereof) of its FB program - might help.
And yes, the racial makeup (as well as the financial status) of the UH student body has had and does have an ongoing effect on their level of interest & support for UH athletics - particularly our football program.