What are you most excited about with UH jumping to the Big 12?

A Clint Eastwood line…along with another one that may be applicable…

Opinions are like AH’s…everybody has one !!!

1 Like

Sure, going from #1 in the AAC to lower tier Big 12 would suck. That’s not the case here.

1 Like

Agree with this. He has not been excited about getting into the big12. He has demonstrated he can win nationally within the AAC and the big12 will definitely upset that balance. Yes, their is a balance and he works well with the AAC front office as far as scheduling is concerned.

As long as Sampson is head coach, UH is better off in the AAC than the big12 when viewed strictly from the prizm of the basketball program only.

1 Like

And we would continue to post “sell outs” against the ECU’s of the world, while we have ~3k at the gate.

More TV Money!!

1 Like

Hhh

More than 2-3 big games a year. For football too. It makes the regular season more exciting

1 Like

You are aware that CKS made the final four in the big 12 !

3 Likes

I want Tulane back on our non conference schedule soon as we can. It’s a great road trip. It did suck playing them in conf bc I wanted us in a p5 but now that we’re p5 , it would be a great non conf game.

1 Like

I think Sampson will be good wherever he goes because his coaching history says that. I think he would have been great at Indiana, too.
As far as seeds go all I can say is I’ll never forget that trip to the final four when every corner of the national media was pounding Houston for having an easy route.
That all really started and was planned out by the media pre-selection. They were making remarks about Houston before the AAC conference tourney. Lets face it. The AAC took a hit when Cronin and Marshall left. And seemed to be trending down before that. I like racking up victories in the AAC. I like winning the tourney. But, personally, I think the league is an albatross. Where it gets nasty is when we have a 11-9 record in the B12. The media is gonna pound us to High Heaven. But, then again, who cares?

2 Likes

“We didn’t bring you to Memphis to dis Pesik!”

5 Likes

There is not ONE SINGLE negative to this move so don’t give me this it’s not really a big deal garbage. First of all, the financial stream is huge and probably much greater than people realize

We are going to recruit better because this will open doors that would not have been available. It is still on us to pick the right doors.

Any argument that this is not a win win for UH athletics and the university is either blowing smoke or doesn’t know any better.

7 Likes

Most will agree with you, Russ - some do not. It is not worth trying to convince those that don’t feel the same way on the basketball side for this one. Feel excited with the excited crowd.

2 Likes

no one said it wasnt a an overall positive

ive noted the financial is a plus… and it will be big for fan engagement… but there are negatives

also i love how its the exact same who say never doubt sampson, who doubt sampson…its coming from sampsons own mouth that it will not have that big of an impact in recruting, also restated by his son…
there are some negative stated by samspon… again i guess you guys know more than samspon on this

I am not trying to convince anyone other than saying it is a ridiculous argument. I am certainly excited and don’t feel the need type a dissertation trying to prove a point or just win an argument that won’t be won or accepted.

2 Likes

okay so you know more than sampson…im literally just stating things sampson said…

just say that …you know more than Sampson on this topic

Whether you agree on the impact of basketball recruiting, small part of this deal, or not it still doesn’t change the overall impact of the move as a GAME CHANGER.

Yes Sampson will continue to recruit the same type of players. For some players the move will not matter while for others they will love playing against that conference schedule. It open more doors, period!

LITERALLY!

3 Likes

it is a world/galaxy changer for football… in basketball it has positives and negatives

in sampson words, you have to be the richest on your block to contend at the top… he says in the aac we have the best donor support, and notes we wont be that in the big 12…that if you look at the top of every league there is a trend on who is at the top, who is spending te most on basketball… he has noted he is worried about this and hopes UH donors grows

i dont even get the hot take about this, Sampson is an old coach close to retiring, where he can sleep walk his way to a top 4 seed every year in the aac, and constantly put himself in a position to achieve the one thing he hasnt yet, a national championship
does anyone really think Sampson is craving big regular season matchups like he has anything to prove? or wants a league where the worst team is better than the 2nd best aac, were we get 20 brutal conference games a year… making seeding a major challenge and having our roster beat up by tournament time…

bob Huggins is a hall of fame coach with a similar pedigree to Sampson, has a final 4 & elite 8 in the “great midwest”, elite 8 in “c-usa”, final 4 in the “big east”… hast gotten past the sweet 16 in the big 12, the conference he has been in the longest

5 Likes

I can think of a lot of things.

Being in the #1 ranked basketball conference with teams like Kansas, Baylor, Tech, that is to say, recent national champions and finalists…a conference befitting a basketball POWERHOUSE like UH (who would argue with that?).

Being in the #3 ranked football conference with several teams that finished in the Top 10, and Top 25, and as recently as last year qualified a team for the four team playoff (unlike the PAC-12, take notice Acres and UH1927).

Being in the same conference with old SWC rivals like Tech, Baylor, and TCU, and having 3-4 drivable road games (night games anyway for Okie State and Tech); we definitely wouldn’t have that in the PAC-12 (take notice Acres and UH1927).

Making a heck of a lot more money than we did in the AAC (that’s without dispute).

Having lower travel costs than we’d have in the PAC-12 (take notice Acres UH1927), and not having to stay up until all hours of the night on a school night to watch conference games, unlike the PAC-12 (take notice Acres and UH1927).

Continuing our rivalry with BYU (we’ve had some great football and basketball matchups with them in recent years).

Possible ski trips to Provo.

Being in one of the best baseball and track conferences.

Being in an equity conference.

Having all the recruiting advantages that comes from being in a P5 as opposed to a G5.

Not having as many sucky teams in our conference.

Can anyone think of any NEGATIVES…in the face of all that?

I sure as Hell can’t.

There’s really no reason…NOT to be excited.

5 Likes

Why there are comments on here, ad nauseum, regarding negatives moving into the Big !2 is so tiring. Good grief, UH has been striving for a better conference for decades and its finally arrived. I just shake my head at any repeated and repeated and repeated points simply for the sake of having the last word. It comes across as so juvenile to me.

6 Likes