What could UH do to realistically improve gameday experience at TDECU

Create a smoked meat area where hundreds of cookers can set up.
Put pavilions next to some of them.
Play music and eat smoked meat.
Go into the stadium without walking 5 miles.
Get beer from pretty bartenders.
Go watch the team.
Get beer from pretty bartenders at half time.
Go watch the team.
Go back to the smoked meat area and hang out after the game, watch other games listen to music.
end of day.

2 Likes

Here’s an idea.

https://twitter.com/DirtySouthScout/status/1645860201868972032?s=20

13 Likes

If there is an area of campus left where pavilions could be set up again, those were some
of the best times pregame. It got everybody psyched and in game day mood, and that was in
the Rob, we should be able to exceed that with TDECU. Face it, your best fans are going to be
pregame tailgaters, not those that come late in 1st qtr.

Yes Please.

4 Likes

After they put the garage in on the south west corner, they should build a tailgate village on the south side of the stadium.

1 Like

I’d like to see more roads closed around the stadium with tailgating in the streets like Cullen from Wheeler all the way to Elgin and Entrance 14 ect create more energy in the corridors leading from the parking to the stadium and you could sell it at a premium. Also give the donors options for parking, I am a high enough level donor to get free garage parking but maybe I want to park in a surface lot.

Also I would love to see Bobbleheads of DJs.

4 Likes

A garage there would be great. What they also need to allow is grilling on the top floor of the garages!!!

1 Like

I think they need to build the atmosphere inside and outside of the stadium by allowing tailgating during the games for people that don’t necessarily want to be in the stadium but want to enjoy the tailgating experience and watch from their RV or vehicle.

1 Like

Ive been adamant. the school goofed way back when by not buying every inch of property north and south of the campus from 45 all the way to the bayou.

(or realistically they should have build UH over near hedwig forest)

1 Like

Bring back THE WAFFLE BUS!

2 Likes

Complaints about the seats being empty at kickoff will increase if people are still allowed to tailgate during games.

Now there is no way to get people into the stadium early.

that’s understandable but i think you kill the on campus buzz for ending the tailgate especially with early game times.

tailgating should be done before, during and at least up to 2 hours after the game.

1 Like

One thing that I’ve noticed about schools with a lot of school pride is that the mindset that they want to win and especially to beat their rivals extends to everything. As an Auburn alum, #EverythingSchool is as much branding as anything else, but they sincerely do care, at an administrative level, about the success of non-Football teams. It’s a big deal when they beat Bama, even when it’s in Competitive Programming or Gymnastics or Robotics. Likewise, I was talking to a Michigan State alum the other day that they have a wall in one of their dorms that Michigan State has three National Championships in Debate…and also that Michigan has zero. I know Arizona holds the same mindset, and there’s not a doubt in my mind that A&M and UT and OU and Michigan and Ohio State do too. All of those are places where you can fall in love with the school and develop an identity as an alum without attending a single Football or Basketball or Baseball game.

A lot of that comes directly from the administration, because donors respond to it. When your program gets more funding when you beat UT, all of a sudden you start caring a lot about it. If your President loves pointing out that your department is ranked higher than Rice’s, and is willing to fund you to make sure it stays that way, that starts to matter more. And once those rivalries are built, they spill over into other stuff. If you’re primed to believe that beating Rice matters, that doesn’t usually stop at your program.

I think that also reduces resentment between the faculty and the AD. When the faculty is “getting their flowers,” they’re less likely to look across Cullen Blvd and see a multimillion-dollar albatross.

1 Like

The garage is in the master plan and includes a new police station if I remember correctly. A tailgate village with donor pavilions and RV lot would be a great use of the existing surface lot, and provide an opportunity to beautify that side of campus imo

1 Like

It is a tough sell when UH is a not a destination school for many of the students but that is changing now with Tier One and joining the Big 12.

I attended UH because it was the only school to offer me scholarship money.

In terms of rivalry, the only school that I consider rivals are SMU, Rice, and Memphis, but this is me attending from 2008-2012.

The older Coog fans have more of a hatred for UT and A&M.

1 Like

We older Coogs consider hate the schools that we played in the old SWC but we were not there long enough for those schools to consider us rivals. With UH changing conferences so often we never truly had a chance to build up any true rivalries. By moving again we are losing one school that was truly starting to become a good rivalry in memphis.

You are right about this not being a destination school along with being a somewhat newer school compared to those in the Big12. We just don’t have that multiple generational alumni base.

1 Like

Since I was part of the students who voted for the new TDECU stadium in 2011, I knew in order for UH to be a destination school we would have to recruit local high school kids to stay in Houston.

Hopefully the current alums can encourage their kids to attend UH.

There was a big debate on Coogfans about alums sending their kids to other schools but let’s not start that up again.

3 Likes

I graduated from UH and now my daughter will be graduating from UH in May. I am hoping my son who is currently in US Army will go to UH when He gets out. So doing my part to build that legacy.

9 Likes

I honestly don’t think the “destination school” thing matters. There are plenty of kids that only wound up at MSU because they got rejected from Michigan, and at Auburn because Bama’s Engineering department isn’t quite up to snuff. OU and A&M both make a living on kids that wanted to go to UT and weren’t good enough, and Tech really isn’t any more of a destination school than we are.

The biggest issue with our student body, to the extent that there is one, is the number of “drop-downs” – people who went to UT/A&M/wherever, couldn’t cut it or didn’t get into their desired major, and decided to transfer back home. In my experience, those kids stay relatively committed to their first school, and also constantly compare UH to it. That stuff’s contagious. You let kids on campus who didn’t even wanna be here in the first place prattle on about how much better their time was elsewhere [of course it was, they spent their whole time at UT getting high at frat parties], and students who would have been perfectly happy at UH start internalizing that it’s not a “real school.”

2 Likes