What music have you been listening to lately?

Half-ass venue reviews…

Best Acoustics. The Heights Theater and Smart Financial Center
Up close and personal. Mucky Duck, Dorsey Doe and Main Street Crossing
Fun in a crowd. WOMH, Warehouse Live and Last Concert Cafe
HOB. Hard to rate….fun place, good shows, but the acoustics are very hit or miss.

Left off the big venues….they are what they are. Toyota Center, NRG, Woodlands.

Several I haven’t been to in a while, so left them off. What am I missing that I need to hit?

1 Like

I have heard that…I do like the Gypsy Kings! Unfortunately missed them when they were at HOB last November.

The band, Spanish Love Songs, can best be described as rock, emo, with some punk. Not for everyone, but they grow on you. :sunglasses: Still haven’t discovered how they came up with their name.

1 Like

Gordon Lightfoot has assumed room temperature.

Tidbit about his hit song “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald”

Edmund Fitzgerald was the Chairman of my company, Northwestern Mutual, and the ship was named after him. After the sinking of the ship that bore his name, it was rumored to be owned by Northwestern Mutual. It led to a policy that is in force today that the company will not sponsor anything that could crash, explode, sink or catch fire.

Fitzgerald’s son was instrumental in bringing MLB back to Milwaukee.

So your company is to blame for the Astros moving to the AL West?

1 Like

Reminds me of a trip to the shipwreck museum on whitefish point as a youth

racist troll wtf are you talking about

I like their version of My Way

1 Like

Stumbled on Barry Gibb’s “Guilty” Demos of him performing his songs before he turned it over to work with Barabara. I heard and thought about a few of the songs in a way I hadn’t before.

Also, Kiss “Creatures of the night” - I think that one gets a bad shake and is way better than originally thought. Kind of a victim of timing and personnel.

1 Like

I saw the Tedeschi Trucks Band at Smart Financial Center last night. The show was amazing!!! They have so much going on on stage; 2 guitars, horns, backup singers, keyboardist, 2 drummers…and it all works so well together. Derek Trucks is such an amazing guitarist. He finger picks and almost gets violent about it. I don’t know how he isn’t spewing blood from his fingertips by the end of the show.

My only gripe is they didn’t play my favorite song of theirs “Midnight in Harlem”. :frowning: The show was a little over 2 hours. I could have gone for 2 more.

2 Likes

I was rocking the Iron Maiden this morning on the way to work….one song came across my playlist and I went down a mini rabbit hole….

Belting out the lyrics and playing air drums….

3 Likes

Just bought tickets to The National at WOMH. Keeping fingers crossed, same day as Okie Lite. Hopefully FB a day game so can attend both, otherwise stubhub. I expected Coogs to be undefeated, so will sell The National. :sunglasses:

New album is great!

I like their sound. I found them because they do a cover of one my early favorite discoveries, Soul Serenade. First done by the legendary saxophonist King Curtis, and later by the Allman Brothers. I really love finding different versions of that song.
Haven’t been interested in going to a live music show in awhile but would for them.

1 Like

I’m familiar with that song. I thought it was originally an Allman Brothers song. I didn’t realize it was a cover for them too. I don’t go to nearly as many concerts as I used to. The last concert before this one was Steve Winwood at Smart Financial Center in 2017.

Dream Theater is coming in June. I think I’d like to see them. I also really want to see Peter Gabriel except his show is the same date as the UH/UT game. If we get an early kickoff, I’m hoping to do both events that day.

2 Likes

Same deal. Gabriel is one of the few acts among my favorites that I’ve somehow missed in the past. Early kickoff=no problem. Evening kickoff=decision time. At least my UH game backup plan involves a couple of Coogs that are eager for the seats.

1 Like

Color me green with envy. I really wanted to get tickets for that one but we had a commitment we were reluctant to break. Glad you enjoyed it.

I think his show at the Cullen Auditorium in 2018(?) was the only concert I’ve ever walked out of. I think I foolishly expected him to sound like he did in 1972.

Anyone here see Gabriel when he was with Genesis?

Also, my HS self thanks Pete for “In Your Eyes”….many a young lady was told how much that song reminded me of them….and only them.

2 Likes

OT (out of town :grinning:) but the Jefferson Theater in Beaumont is a great venue. I wasn’t even aware of it until the Mavericks played there earlier this year. It’s a beautiful old, restored theater with better-than-average (though not perfect) acoustics. It’s only about an hour from us and we will be going back soon I hope.

Thanks! Will add that to my list. Kind of like Rockefeller’s? Loved that place when they were going full blown. Saw John Prine , Emmy Lou Harris, John Gorka, and Cowboy Junkies there, to name a few, back in the day.

Loved Rockefellers back in the day

Jefferson Theater is bigger I think. It used to be a fairly large movie house. It’s pretty ornate with those side boxes etc.