Conference Realignment Discussion: Stewart Mandel’s Mailbag in The Athletic

Flugar?!?!?

Lol

1 Like

Boise is having a hard time getting the AAC to accept their non-football sports; I doubt the P5 are interested.

SDSU is half a continent away from the nearest conference that could even consider them.

Mandel doesn’t know what he’s talking about here.

That guy was fishing for more Twitter followers.

And what’s your data to back up that claim?

Never seen that before. Louisiana? Yeah, all the time. Pretty sure there is a strong correlation there between number of teeth and likelihood of fleeing the coastal area when a hurricane is coming.

I am not buying this premise.

2 Likes

UH vs Arizona with over 2 mil viewers when we weren’t even ranked or in a P5. The market is there for us which is why UT etc fear us being in a P5 . We’d be most especially dangerous to them if we get a p5 invite outside the big 12 then they lose all control.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/general/amp/On-TV-Radio-Inside-ratings-for-college-football-14817378.php

And that is just us vs central fla in 2019

We’d capture half this market or more if in a p5. We’d be a force which is why there is resistance. The big 12 denied us bc they fear we will out recruit many of them. Same thing with ratings on tv in that our area even with A&M and ut here is larger than most states even if we get half.

1 Like

Top25,
That is my dream, move to a major conference OUTSIDE of UT and watch them panic!

4 Likes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/oklahoman.com/article/5640227/ou-houston-second-highest-rated-game-of-college-football-opening-weekend/amp

With no other games to share the airwaves with…that might be a reason. I love my coogs. But this expansions stuff is silly. We are trying to make a case on which super model to date right now, when none of those super models want to date us.

Tv’s, academics and regional footprints are as important as a top 25 ranking. When Cinci and USF and Louisville left CUSA for the big East they were not winning 4 games a year. When TCU went from CUSA to MWC to the big 12 they were not in a down cycle. And do you think the big 12 was thinking about their footprint in the metro plex? UT has an insane presence there. TCU did not add anything but a rose bowl. Utah had come off top 5 finishes.

Most of the other additions were teams switching (tamu, Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzou) or their BCS league dissolved (big east). West Virginia was #1 or 2 a year or so before the big 12 took them.

We can have amazing facilities and tv ratings that were great from 3 years ago and a peach bowl from 6 seasons ago and we are not going anywhere if we are not a top 25 team.

1 Like

I do agree we need to start being ranked in the top 25 again in football like bb.

Rankings are not important compared to markets, tv ratings and academics. .Ask Rutgers, ask Maryland, ask Missouri… ask the aggies…but we DO need to improve in FB and get back to our usual winning…Nothing going to happen for 2 or 3 years so CDH has time to get it straightened out…

4 Likes

You just showed my example. All of those schools left a p5 for another. Moving up into the p5 you can be in a crazy population center (see Houston, sMU, ucf) but if you are not winning you are not going.

The three season before mizzou left the big 12 they won 27 games and ended the seeason ranked in the top 25 a year prior. Columbia, Missouri is a college town. How big is their market?

Maryland was bad. But they left a p5 acc to join a better p5 big 10. But they already had a seat at the table. Was the big 10 struggling without the Baltimore market? The 26th biggest in the country?

Rutgers had won 24 games in the previous 3 seasons. Bowl games in 5 out of the previous 6 years. Also had been in the big East (bcs) for the previous 30 years until their 2 years stint in the aac.

Now I wish basketball could carry us! Up by 31!!!

Maryland brings in the DC market of over 5.5 million, not just Baltimore.

UM is located just across the border with DC, and is the only big-time college football program in the DC area.

In the Washington Post, they get a lot of college football coverage.

Likewise, Rutgers gives the B1G the NYC market.

1 Like

How many NYC residents care about the university of New Jersey? Like the Scarlet knights just have a lock on that? Penn state has more control than they do.

Answer: Rutgers football gets some of the highest college football TV ratings in NYC.

See here.

That was the appeal of taking Maryland and Rutgers: State flagships, AAU members, adjacent to the B1G’s existing geographical footprint…and…most importantly…TV MARKETS!!!

2 Likes

Nice to see all channels of cooperation and visibility being explored.

https://twitter.com/cpezman/status/1366153660879810562?s=21

Ms. Gould is Senior Associate Commissioner of pac12

5 Likes

Did I miss something? UH hosted the PAC12 swim championships?

Edit: Okay I guess we did.

I’m a little confused with this one. No other PAC12 school has a natatorium?

If Rutgers had won 15 games the previous 3 years, the Big 10 would still have jumped on them?

1 Like

I’m guessing it has to do with COVID sports gatherings, particularly with an indoor championship.

1 Like

Pez has connections from his time at Cal, so I would never rule out joining the pac-12 as a possibility now that they will have new leadership.
There are always plenty of intangibles that go into these decisions and i’m sure Khator and Pez are making sure UH is always top of mind for thier friends out west

2 Likes